STEP 1 - The Soup
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add oil to coat the bottom of the pan, followed with butter. Once it melts, add the sliced onions and salt, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes, or until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, and mustard, stir well, and cook for another five minutes. Mix in remaining seasonings.
Pour in six cups of water, and turn the heat to high. When it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low, partially cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
STEP 2 - The Toast
- While the soup is simmering, line a sheet pan with parchment paper or foil and preheat the oven to 450°F with a rack in the upper third of the oven.
- Brush both sides of the French bread or baguette slices lightly with olive oil.
- Put in the oven and toast until lightly browned (approx 5 minutes).
- Turn the toasts over and sprinkle with the grated Cheese and Parmesan. Return to oven when it's close to serving time and bake until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
STEP 5 - To Serve
- Ladle the soup into a bowl and transfer one cheesy toast onto the top of each bowl of soup. Serve immediately.
Recipe Inspo: @nickdk