For the boil
2-3 lbs of Good Quality Pork Belly (skin off) - cut into 4ish pieces
4 cups Chicken Stock
1 thumbsized piece of ginger - sliced into strips
4 Garlic Cloves - smashed
1 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
1 tbsp Sugar
1 Star Anise
1/2 an Orange - Zested and Juiced
Water - for top up
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil - 1 for the glaze, and 1 for the frying
1 thumb sized piece of Ginger - Grated
1 Chili - any type you want to use - Fine Diced
2 tbsp Honey
2 tbsp Brown Sugar
3 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp Lemon Grass - Really Fine Diced…Like REALLY FINE
Fresh Cracked Pepper - to taste
The other half of the Orange you used for the boil, we will use that juice!
1. In a deep pot, add all the boil ingredients and the Pork Belly pieces. If the liquid doesn’t cover the Belly, add a touch of water so that its all covered up! Place lid on the pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down to a low simmer and let it go for 2 hours (should be enough time to cook all the belly through as that is the time that I have used).
2. Once time is up. turn heat off and let sit for about 30 min so you can handle the Pork Belly. Pull from pot and put into a glass dish, or bowl. Cover in plastic wrap and either set aside till cool enough to handle or in the fridge for the evening. SIDE NOTE, keep the boil liquid!!!!! Its the most amazing stock ever for soups! Trust Me!!!
3. While you are waiting for the pork, mix together all the glaze ingredients EXCEPT for 1 tbsp of the oil which you will reserve for frying the Pork Belly.
4. Once you have decided to handle the pork, remove from the dish and cut each piece into BITE SIZED pieces. Add 1 tbsp of the oil to a hot pan and begin to fry up the pork. You want to crisp it up. Look for the golden crust!
5. Once the Belly Pieces are crispy and Golden, add your glaze and mix well with the bites. Turn pan down and reduce the liquid till it’s sticky and covering the pork well. The glaze will turn darker and VERY sticky… its amazing!
6. Garnish with Green Onion, Cucumber and Sesame Seeds.
Credit - Cory Walby - Bokashi Steel Pro Team Chef
Instagram - @saturday_night_test_kitchen