1 package of Bacon - Thick or regular cut ( i like the thicker better!)
3 cloves Garlic - smashed and peeled
4 eggs - beaten well
150g (a good sized piece) Parmigiano Reggiano (fine grated it will be about 1 cup)
Fresh Ground Pepper
1 Package Spaghetti
Reserved Pasta Water
Optional - Parmigiano for the finish!
1. Get a pot on with water. Salt it and bring to a boil. Get pasta on in there and cook to the desired finish!
2. Meanwhile, get a frying pan onto the cooktop and heat to medium-high heat. Cut up bacon into 1/2” pieces and toss into the pan. Begin to fry. We want it crispy!!
3. About halfway through the cooking process, add the smashed cloves of garlic and get them mixed in the with Bacon Fat and Bacon pieces. You want the flavor of the garlic mixed in well!!
4. While your bacon is cooking down, grab a bowl and get the eggs into it! Mix well. Add your grated Parmigiano to it and mix that up well. Add pepper if you like to taste. Set aside and have ready to go!
5. Once the bacon has cooked, pull a couple of small pieces out for garnishing on the final dish if you like.
6. Once pasta is completed cooking, save yourself a glass of the pasta water. You can use it to thin out your sauce later. Trust me, its a good idea! Drain pasta and put it back into the pot.
7. Time to work quickly! Add your bacon, and 3-4 tbsp of the bacon fat into the Pasta Pot with the Pasta and mix around. Now take your Egg / Cheese Mix and pour into the pasta. The temp from the bacon and pasta will help “cook” the eggs to make it ok to eat. Not scramble them, that's why you work fast and mix well!
8. If the consistency is too thick, that’s ok! This is why we saved the Pasta water! Add a bit in, and mix it up. It will help thin it out.
9. Serve with a bit of extra Parmigiano over the top and enjoy!!!
Credit - Cory Walby - Bokashi Steel Pro Team Chef
Instagram - @saturday_night_test_kitchen